----Ratings-----

----Ratings----
0-50 pts. Below Par, false advertising
60 pts. Ok, I wouldn’t buy again
70 pts. Good wine, I would buy this again
80 pts. I like it. Strongly recommended
90 pts. Amazing!


Tuesday 18 October 2011

2003 Merricks Estate Cabernet Sauvignon



2003 Merricks Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

Mornington Peninsula, VIC

$11.50/glass

$30 bottle retail

Remember when you were a child eating a bag of jelly beans? Red strawberry, white vanilla, green lime... No one wanted the black ones except dad. Why is that? I could always count on my dad to finish most things I didn't like, mostly licorice flavored things and spicy things, and generally anything that tasted like coffee, how things change.

As I sit in Gills Diner in Melbourne after a long hard day at work, I sip this wine and realize I have developed Dad tastes. I'm not convinced that I understand the flavors or even enjoy them, but mostly I feel like I snuck a sip from dad's cup.

Very dark, rich red, there is some bottle age and this is starting to show through the colour.

Tar, tobacco, built with strength and complexity, and a wink which says "i can still beat you in an arm wrestle" so much like my dad. It's thick and feels sticky like chewing those black jelly beans. Served with the beef cheeks, there is nothing better.

Licorice and cassis finish with a dusting of dried oregano.

If you "get it"...

79 points

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.